Re: Can't boot anything....

On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 06:28, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> Dear all,
--snip--
> So, it seems if I have the whole boot sequence, it first tries to boot
> from floppy, decides it is nothing in there (though it is), then tries to
> boot from CD, decides it is nothing in there (though a perfectly fine
> Knoppix CD is there), and then goes on to boot from HD, but that ends up
> printing "01 01 01 " etc....
>
> Am I fscked....?

I agree with the other replies in that it SOUNDS like a hardware
problem. Then again, I can SOUND like a duck, but that doesn't make me a
duck. :)

Here's my concern. The computer is actually "booting fine" from the HD.
In a manner of speaking. The 01's that are being printed to the screen
are coming from lilo, so the HD is actually booting. The first, and
easiest, thing to check is your BIOS settings. Rather than disabling all
of the other boot devices, try leaving them all enabled but just
changing the boot order. Preferably as:

1. Floppy
2. CD-ROM
3. HD

Also, since you've been messing with APM, I'd suggest the following.
Shut down the computer, unplug EVERYTHING from the back (including
power), push the power button to let it drain out whatever is left, and
then let it sit for a few minutes. Then plug everything back in and boot
it up. I've had a problem with my computer going into power saving mode,
and not coming out of it even after repeated hard resets and powering
down. The only thing that worked was the above.

If you have some extra free time, it would also be a good idea to strip
down the system as was mentioned in another post. For now, leave all
three of the above devices in. If they end up not working, you can start
taking them out one by one and in various combinations. (e.g. leave only
the floppy, leave only the CD-ROM, and leave only the HD)

Try booting from one of your floppies. Or all of your floppies for that
matter. You might also want to try booting from a floppy that ISN'T a
boot floppy just to make sure you get an "Invalid System Disk" error so
you know everything is working more or less ok.

If you still can't boot after this, try booting from the CD-ROM. If your
Knoppix CD doesn't work, try some other bootable CD-ROMs. For now, your
goal is just to get your system booting into SOMETHING from SOMETHING.
You can worry about the HD later once you're more or less sure that the
system is OK. (Assuming, of course, that the system is ok to begin with.
:)

Finally, if/when you manage to get the system booting, then find a good
Linux boot disk (Knoppix CD, boot floppy, etc), and re-run lilo. I don't
know about the Knoppix CD, but the Debian install CD's allow you to pass
options to LILO when they first start up. In this case you just pass it
an option like "root=/dev/hda1" and it will boot using the kernel on the
floppy/CD while using your HD for everything else.

Best of luck.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837