dselect issue

Hi all first time to post here so hope this doesnt come off completly wrong. I have been using debian for about 3 years now and love, and have installed it on a ton of differnt machines without issues, but this is a problem that i have no idea how to beat. When i try and do an upgrade i get these issues

E: Internal Error, Could not perform immediate configuration (2) on libpam0g
Some errors occurred while unpacking. I'm going to configure the
packages that were installed. This may result in duplicate errors
or errors caused by missing dependencies. This is OK, only the errors
above this message are important. Please fix them and run [I]nstall again

i have no clue why it wants to remove libpam0g. I have gone into dselect and told it to leave libpam0g alone, but i still get the same error. any help would be amazing.

-howell