Re: GRUB problem

On Tuesday 24 June 2003 01:56, Clive Menzies wrote:
> On (24/06/03 00:52), cr wrote:
> > I'm still booting off floppy and trying to get GRUB sorted.
> >
> > I have /boot on  /dev/hda1   and root on /dev/hda5
> >
> > (At first, LILO was just hanging with 'LI 99 99 99'  and GRub, when I
> > installed it gave an Error 5 - 'partition table bad'.    Eventually I got
> > half a clue and added  /boot   (/dev/hda1)    into  /etc/fstab   and
> > started again...)
> >
> > Lilo when installed and booted just gives 'LI' and stops.
> >
> > Grub when installed and booted gives the following:
> >
> > GRUB Loading Stage 1.5
> > GRUB Loading, please wait...
> > Error 2    (and that's as far as it gets)
> >
> > Error 2 means " Bad file or directory type
> > This error is returned if a file requested is not a regular file, but
> > something like a symbolic link, directory, or FIFO. "
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas?
> >
> > [The details - I installed GRUB in accordance with
> > /usr/share/doc/grub/README.Debian -
>
> I'm not expert on this but have successfully set Grub up on two PC's.  I
> used:
>
> http://www.linuxorbit.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&r
>eq=viewarticle&artid=539&page=1
>
> to guide me.  The only variation I adopted was to not rerun update grub
> after editing the menu.lst.  It seemed to put all the settings back to
> their original values.

That article was actually one of the sources I used for reference while
trying to debug GRUB.

> I don't have separate boot partitions - your problem seems to be that
> root is hda5, whereas menu.lst points to hda1.  Did update grub set it
> back that way?

No, it didn't, I set it that way.   OTOH, changing it to hda5 makes no
difference, I think because the boot process isn't getting that far.

> I also installed a later kernel, 2.4.18, before installing grub - not
> that this should affect it.
>
> HTH
>
> Clive

Thanks, but the problem seems to be still there.   So far as I can tell, GRUB
Stage 1 is loading, but it can't 'see' Stage 1.5 or Stage 2 (one or the
other).

cr