Re: GRUB problem

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:04:47 +0100
Clive Menzies <clive@clivemenzies.co.uk> wrote:

> When I did this, it took the values and reset them to to the default
> values.  So having gone around in circles more than once, I tried just
> booting without update grub and it worked fine.  Is there a flag in
> menu.lst that stops it resetting?

I'm not aware of a flag to reset to defaults.

Did you delete any of the lines in menu.lst, or did you just edit them for
your post?

Excerpt from /sbin/update-grub:

># Magic markers we use
>start="### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST"
>end="### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST"
>
>startopt="## ## Start Default Options ##"
>endopt="## ## End Default Options ##"

I'm guessing you removed one or more of the "magic markers", so update-grub
restored the defaults.

I don't try to trim the file, I just edit the lines beginning with only one
hash and leave the rest alone.

Kevin