Re: installing mouse

On Mon, 2003-06-23 at 16:27, Leonard Stevens wrote:
> I am a new user or in the act of trying to be one. My problem at least
> at this stage is I can't get Linux to recognize my bus mouse. I made
> the mistake of installing xwindows and it goes straight there but
> without a mouse. I told it in setup that it was a bus ps/2 mouse but
> it could care less. I couldn't figure a way out so I reformatted the
> disk and started over. This time I made the mistake of installing the
> desktop and had the same result. I ounce more reformatted and am about
> to try a third time. How in gods name do I get it to install a mouse
> driver??????
> Thanks anyone who can help.
> Leonard Stevens

bus mouse, hmm.... usb? sun? im sorry for asking, ive never worked with
a bus mouse before. you will need to compile modules for the kernel or
compile the kernel to get the computer hardware to "talk" to the mouse.
this is a somewhat big step if youve never done it before.

if you have x installed, then all the drivers are installed for
communicating with the mouse. first find your config file. look in
/var/log/XFree86.0.log to find which one x is using. then there are two
main things you need to know for your mouse. the device it is connected
to (ie /dev/input/mice or /dev/psaux) and the protocol.

hear are some protocols:

PS/2
ImPS/2
GlidePointPS/2
NetMousePS/2
NetScrollPS/2
ThinkingMousePS/2
MouseManPlusPS/2
ExplorerPS/2

this is just an overview, but it should help you get started.

-matt zagrabelny