Re: dma fails with kernel 2.4.21 - SOLVED

On 22 Jun 2003, Marino Fernandez wrote:
> On Sunday 22 June 2003 10:17 pm, Kristian Peters wrote:
> > Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> schrieb:
> > > I had dma running with kernel 2.4.20. On 2.4.21 hdparm gives an error:
> > >
> > > 	HDIO_SET_DMA failed
> > >
> > > Anyone know why this is or what has changed between the two kernels?
>
> It must be something on the way you configured things. I just compiled and
> installed 2.4.21 on top or 2.4.20-xfs and dma works fine.
>
> Marino@lifebook:~$ uname -r
> 2.4.21
> Marino@lifebook:~$ sudo hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc
>
> /dev/hdc:
>  setting using_dma to 1 (on)
>  using_dma    =  1 (on)

Thanks to Kristian and Marino for replies. I had another look at the
configuration and noticed that there is now an entry for VIA82CXXX
chipset support. I do have such a chipset though my version is not one
of those listed at the top of the c files in the drivers section. I
nevertheless tried enabling this and dma has now started working again.

AC

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic