Re: OT: America's Army

On Sun, 2003-06-22 at 18:17, Mike Dresser wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
>
> > It was fairly common in the early 80's for application source to be
> > printed in a variety of magizines and to be shared between users.  I'm
> > not referring to pirated software, but rather Free software.  I remember
> > Commodore (yes Commodore) magazines with the source for applications
> > printed among their pages.
>
> Home comput(er/ing) Magazine (HCM) used to publish code for 5 or 6
> different computers, atari 800?, ti99/4a, c64, vic/20, etc.  Back in the
> early 80's, so I dont'r emember what all they covered.  99'r mag had a
> similar idea, but only for the ti99/4a.
>
> Talk about portability, even back then.  They actually had a program you
> inputted your program into, and it would do a crude checksum to make sure
> you typed your code in properly.
>
> Have i dated myself now? :D

Not terribly. All you've told us is that you're most likely somewhere at
or after your early to mid twenties. :)

I'm 23 and I remember helping my dad type in code for our Commodore 64
from a magazine... and today I'm a 'Linux Geek(tm)'... imagine that...
;)

Now, if you were to say that you read the original printing of 'The
Story of Mel' during your lunch break one day and agreed wholeheartedly,
THEN you would be dating yourself. ;)

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837