Re: OT: America's Army

On Sun, 2003-06-22 at 18:02, Bijan Soleymani wrote:
> Kevin McKinley <ronin2@bellatlantic.net> writes:
>
> > On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 16:44:34 -0400
> > Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com> wrote:
> >
> > > When was this? It's pretty much been this way since the late 70s and
> > > surely since the 80s. Unix was never free at first. Not until Linux
> > > came around and the BSD's became free.
> >
> > Au contraire!
> >
> > When UNIX was first released it was free as in both freedom and beer.
> >
> > Then the lawyers got involved. :(
>
> It was developped by AT&T. Did they release it as free software, but
> then revoke their free license. If so how did they take it back
> later. Is it possible to retract a license like that? If they didn't
> why did the BSD's have to get rid of all AT&T code.

Well, if the "free license" was written to be revokable, then they
could revoke it.  Remember, as much as some people would like to
think it, RMS didn't carve the GPL in stone with his finger, so
that Moses could carry it down the Mountain...

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| "Oh, great altar of passive entertainment, bestow upon me |
|  thy discordant images at such speed as to render linear  |
|  thought impossible" (Calvin, regarding TV)               |