Re: OT: America's Army

On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 04:44:34PM -0400, Bijan Soleymani wrote:
> Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> writes:
>
> > Proprietary software won't die in a day, it'll take time for the
> > industry to reacquaint itself with it's formerly open past.
>
> When was this? It's pretty much been this way since the late 70s and
> surely since the 80s. Unix was never free at first. Not until Linux
> came around and the BSD's became free.

It was fairly common in the early 80's for application source to be
printed in a variety of magizines and to be shared between users.  I'm
not referring to pirated software, but rather Free software.  I remember
Commodore (yes Commodore) magazines with the source for applications
printed among their pages.

> >Don't force it, or OSS becomes the very thing most of it's followers
> >hate.
>
> I hate software that I can't copy and modify. How will OSS (Free
> Software) become the opposite of that if I personally choose not to
> use proprietary software.

Depends on how you exercise that "choice".  If you are extremely vocal
and make demands of proprietary software companies in rude and harsh
tones, you will in turn generate a very poor impression of Open Source
users for those you interact with.  No one likes being forced to do
something (at least not anyone I know).

--
Jamin W. Collins