Re: iso images etc

On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 08:27:42PM +0100, john gennard wrote:

> I do most of my burning with K3b (which I find easy and effective)
> and a little with Xcdroast which I find often fails (I've noticed
> others on the list complain of problems with this prgram). I'll
> have to try getting to grips with cdrecord from the commandline.
>
> The real problem is that I cannot 'visualise' what has to be done
> to make an .iso image bootable.

You don't "make an .iso image bootable".  An ISO image is just that an
"image" of a CD.  Normally, it's either bootable or it isn't.  Now, you
can make a bootable CD ISO image.  Which is effectively an ISO image of
a bootable CD.  Think of the ISO image file as everything necessary to
recreate the CD.

For more information on creating ISO images, take a look at the man
pages for "dd" and "mkisofs".

With cdrecord, creating a CD from an ISO image is normally as easy as:

   cdrecord dev=0,1,0 /path/to/image.iso

You will most likely need to change the "dev=0,1,0" above.  The proper
value can normally be found by running:

   cdrecord --scanbus

and then using the 3 numbers listed before your burner's entry in the
output.  These are the SCSI bus, SCSI ID, and SCSI Lun of the device
(IIRC).

--
Jamin W. Collins