Re: iso images etc

On Sat, Jun 21, 2003, Robert Ian Smit wrote:
> * john gennard <joney@clara.co.uk> [21-06-2003 19:46]:
> > I burned the .iso image to a CD, but to make it bootable, I was
> > asked to add the contents of a floppy - presumably containing
> > drivers to activate a CD-ROM drive.
>
> > 1. How to I get the CD to boot?
>
> Use the right tool to burn the iso. Don't "copy" the file to the
> cdrom, but create a cdrom from it. In Nero this is called burn
> image. In Linux you can use cdrecord.

Thanks for the advice. I have to look at someone else's Win
installation with Nero Express on it. I can't find any
'burn image' option there.

I do most of my burning with K3b (which I find easy and effective)
and a little with Xcdroast which I find often fails (I've noticed
others on the list complain of problems with this prgram). I'll
have to try getting to grips with cdrecord from the commandline.

The real problem is that I cannot 'visualise' what has to be done
to make an .iso image bootable.
> > 3. Is there a linux package which allows one to read
> >         and extract files from an .iso image.
>
> Yes, if your kernel supports it you can mount that file using "-o
> loop".

I'll run through my kernels config logs (I have four in use at the
moment for different purposes. Again, Robert, thanks for your kind
response.                       John.