Re: Debian PPC

On (19/06/03 23:28), Kent West wrote:
> John A. English, n/OEF wrote:
>
> >Debian users,
> >
> >I am trying to install Debian Linux on an iMAC computer.
> >
> >I bought a set of distribution disks and booted the disk 1 then
> >followed the directions and successfully installed the command line
> >Debian Linux.
> >
> >However, when it came to the x windows stuff, the install asked what
> >mouse I was using and none of the choices were Mac mice.  I chose one
> >of the generic mice and went on.  Then install asked for what video
> >driver and one of the choices was ati which I think is correct, so
> >that's what I chose.
> >
> >Next it asked for the horizontal and vertical refresh rates.  I
> >guessed, and I am pretty sure I got it wrong, but I can't find the
> >information install is asking for anywhere.  Even the Apple Specs
> >don't give the info I need, unless i'm doing the wrong thing entirely,
> >which may be the case.
> >
> >Is there a straight forward "easy" step by step guide specifically for
> >an iMac?  Or does someone recognize what I'm doing wrong?
>
> You might want to subscribe to debian-powerpc
> (http://lists.debian.org/ports.html).
>
> "lspci" will give you a good idea of what your video card is, as well as
> other PCI devices.
>
> It sounds like you've got an older version of Debian than what I'm
> accustomed to; I think the Sid (unstable) flavor, which I installed on a
> G4 half a year or so ago was a bit easier to set up than what you're
> presenting. I assume you're mostly just experimenting at this phase, so
> what I'd suggest is that you add the "unstable" lines to
> "/etc/apt/sources.lst" (just duplicate the "stable" lines, except for
> the "security" entry, probably two lines, and change "stable" to
> "unstable"), and then upgrade your box via "apt-get update" and "apt-get
> dist-upgrade". This should get you a newer version of X that's easier to
> install.
>
> As far as you question about a "step by step guide", you might take a
> look at the official installation guide at
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/powerpc/install if you haven't
> already found it. Other than that, perhaps someone else knows of another
> guide to which they can point you.

Definitely agree with Kent that you subscribe to debian-powerpc ;
they're very helpful and knowledgeable.  Configuring X for Mac hardware
seems always a challenge (I've installed woody on a G4 and an
8100/80 - more than once).  At the risk of contradicting Kent (hope this
is not becoming a habit;)) I am not sure of the wisdom of going straight
to unstable unless you are an experienced user.  I've not tried it
myself (and Kent may be right) but everything I've read suggests that
sid (unstable) is not for the fainthearted ;)

I would suggest that you first search the archives for powerpc at:
http://lists.debian.org/search.html

Then subscribe to debian-powerpc and only if you can't resolve the the X
issue after that consider moving to sid.

I am not a guru - so feel free to take this with a "pinch of salt" ;)

Clive