Sound card AC 97 Integrated problem. Programs for listening music, watching videos.

I have Intel Pentium 4 1.8DHz FCPGA 478 and sound card
AC'97 Integrated.
OS: Debian Woody (3.0)

What steps should I do to get the sound card working?

Step 1. I compiled into kernel(make
menuconfig:sound:intel ICH (i8xx) audio support (I
rebooted the system).
Step 2. Install proper programs  for listening to
music, watching videos. Which one do you suggest?

I cannot play music neither from CD nor form file.
Under kde session I got the following:

***
Sound server informational message:
Error while initialising the sound driver:
device /dev/dsp can't be opened (Permission denied)
The sound server will continue, using the null output
device.
***

I also would like to listen music under  gnome.

Where can I find Information about using sound
(musing) and video under debian?
Under Windows2000 I can listen to music from CD and
from file.

TIA

Andrzej