Odd netinst corruption problems

Fellow Debs,

I'm having a very strange problem doing a netinst-style installation
and nobody could give me a straight answer in the IRC channel so I
figured I'd reach more people this way.

I'm installing Woody from a very bare netinst boot CD (I don't
remember which one, but it doesn't have any of the main packages, only
the very basic 2.2.20 kernel).

I get all the way up to the "base install" part, where I choose
network and allow it to go download the proper packages from
http.us.debian.org, and it gets as far as tar_1.13.25-2_i386.deb
before stopping to tell me that
"http://http.us.debian.org:80/debian/pool/main/t/tar/tar_1.13.25-2_i386.deb
was corrupt" and then tells me that it couldn't download tar. This
halts the installation process and I have to start over.

At first it happened on the ppp package every time but eventually it
got beyond that and started failing at tar. The IRC folks told me it
might be because of my net card or net connection, and even though I
thought it fishy that it would always fail on exactly the same
package, I switched out my Linksys card using tulip.o for a 3Com card
using Vortex/Boomerang (the same net card chipset I used to netinst
Debian from the same CD on my laptop, in fact). I still have the same
problem.

What could be causing this?! I switch over to another console and use
the bare root prompt to delete everything in
/target/var/cache/apt/archives, forcing it to re-download all of the
packages and still it fails at tar, saying it's corrupted. Downloading
it on another machine and transferring it via floppy may work, I
haven't tried, but that's too much of a kludge for me.

Help! I must get Debian on this machine because I can't stand RedHat
anymore!

--
Aaron Bieber
-