Re: XFree86 problems trying to load module 'sis'

David Goodenough wrote:
On Wednesday 18 June 2003 18:59, Charles Roberts wrote:

Hello all:
I am trying to get Debian running. The sequence of events:
1. installed 'woody' from floppy disks with the bf2.4 (what ever that
stands for) images (I wanted to use reiserfs). The install when OK. Got
a basic 'cli' Debian system.
2. Did an 'apt-get dist-upgrade' to 'sarge'. All when OK.
3. Used aptitude to install X11. I configured XFree86 OK.
4. This same machine is also running Mandrake, so I know the video works.
5. Issued a 'startx' command. X came up but with the wrong resolution. I
looked in /var/log/XFree86 log and found that the driver 'sis' failed to
load.
6. From a cli I issued 'modprobe sis'. Got an error saying 'could not
find kernel the module was compiled for'.
7. Upgraded the kernel 'with dselect' to 2.4.20-1-k6.
8. Did another 'modprobe sis'. Got error
"/lib/modules/2.4.20-1-k6/kernel drivers/video/sis/sisfb.o: init_module:
no such device". Also got 'insmod sis failed'.

I am out of ideas of what to do next. Any help would be appricated.

Thanks
Charles

Are you using Thomas Winishoffer's current drivers, or are you using
the ones that come with XFree.  Unless it is 4.3 the XFree drivers are
seriously out of date, and his work so much better.

Regards

David

Thanks for the reply David. I am willing to try Thomas Winishoffer's drivers, but a search in google on his name didnot show any hits. Where does one get his drivers?

Charles