Re: backporting Questions

Elliot Dray wrote:
1) when you issue the command "apt-get -b build-dep" what exactly does the build-dep do, does it install dependencies from the branch your trying to install the package from?

I think you have this command confused with another.

apt-get build-dep packagename

I got that command from an email on this list and when you run it, it does work (or at least it doesn't error).

fakeroot apt-get -b source packagename

This command is not run as root.  It downloads the package source.  It
then builds the package.  To build the package it needs root-like
privileges and so use fakeroot.  But don't use real root.

Is it just because of good practice why you shouldn't use root? there is no technical reason, is there?

1a) when it lists the files to be installed, what happens if they have dependencies, do you have to keep drilling down?
>1b) is there a script out there to automate the drill down?

If there are build dependencies then the apt-get build-dep should
install them.  If there is a dependency upon another package in
unstable which needs to be backported then you need to start again at
the beginning and to backport that package first.

So you have to find the root and work forwards, ok. Does anyone have a script that can do this or is it a by hand job?

1c)do you end up with a system at testing or unstable by stealth, because it has recursively installed so many products?

Yes, no, maybe.  It depends upon what you are installing and how you
define things.

As a test I was thinking of evms (only as a test) or request-tracker3. I suppose it depends on how many programs you have to backport in order to get the one you want to backport successfully. I'm not sure what you mean by how you define things?

2) will these dependency files overwrite existing files?
3) can you remove these dependant files after you've managed to install your package, as one email I found indicated?

What are dependency files?  I could not deduce to what you were refering.

I was basically refering to the files that get installed as part of the build-dep, once you've managed to build your backport can you remove these files that were pulled down in order to satisfy the dependencies so that your package would build from source. Again this was what was said in another post awhile back.

4) if a package is very easy to backport, why isn't this done as part of the original build process?

Because it is an arbitrary line between packages that you want to have
in the backport and all packages.  For example, why isn't glibc
backported?  Pretty much at the point in time that you backport
everything you now have testing/unstable.  So this is only viable when
you want to stay on stable but also want or need a few specific
targeted packages.

Ok, understand, but wouldn't it be viable for some packages which have few dependencies (and backport easily) to be backported at the time of creation by the developer? just a thought

5) In one email I saw this command " apt-get -b build-dep packagename/testing", this format didn't work for me as apt tried to find packagename/testing instead of packagename in the testing branch. Is this suppose to work?

Hmm...  Can't say.  I don't know.  I am not an expert on pinning.  I
usually avoid pinning.

ok, no worries

Bob

Thanks for your answers, things are clearer now and I'll have a play with a big program and a small one to see what effect it has on my system.

Elliot

Sign-up for a FREE BT Broadband connection today! http://www.msn.co.uk/specials/btbroadband