Re: apt-get/cdrom curiosity

What happens if you comment out security.debian.org?

From: Peter Hugosson-Miller <pehu@im.se>
To: Debian User <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Subject: apt-get/cdrom curiosity
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 11:21:53 +0200

A curious thing happened today with apt-get, that I have never seen before.

I recently upgraded my system from potato to woody, using an official CD
set (7 binary, 7 source). I followed the instructions rigorously, and am now 99% sure that all is correctly upgraded (but see http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/debian-user-200306/msg02003.html ).

This morning I edited /etc/apt/sources.list, re-ordering the cdrom lines
(put there by apt-cdrom) so that they were in ascending order, binaries
first, and adding the following line at the bottom:

deb http://security.debian.org/ woody/updates main contrib non-free

...followed by an apt-get update and an apt-get upgrade, expecting to
get the security updates.

Although this went OK, downloading and upgrading about 16Mb of archives,
I also received a bunch of warnings, both during the update and twice
during the upgrade. The following line or very similar was repeated 28
times (which is twice the total number of CD's):

W: Couldn't stat source package list cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r0 _Woody_ - Official i386 Binary-1 (20020718)] unstable/contrib Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/Debian%20GNU_Linux%203.0%20r0%20%5fWoody%5f%20-%20
Official%20i386%20Binary-1%20(20020718)_dists_unstable_contrib_binary-
i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)

...followed by this line at the bottom:

The trouble is, running apt-get update produces the same output again. These lines as you can see are quite long, wrapping round into 5 lines each on the screen, so this means I get 140 lines of garbage scrolling by, masking the (possibly important) messages that are emitted before them. The same is true if I try apt-get -f install (this should have produced almost no output, as all packages are installed OK).

I haven't deleted anything in /var/lib/apt/lists, and apart from re-ordering the cdrom lines in sources.list (which usually has no effect whatsoever), I haven't done anything at all out of the ordinary. What is happening here, and more importantly, how do I make it go away? Until I find the answer, I'm going to need to turn on a transcript log each time I want to do anything with apt-get, so that I can browse through the log to see how things went :-(.

BTW after this is fixed, I still want to be able to apt-get install from the CD's, for those packages that aren't affected by security updates.

--
Cheers!

   .~.
   /V\