Re: using xserver-xfree86-dbg

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 09:48:32AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 09:18:47AM +0200, Alex Polite wrote:
> > Just installed xserver-xfree86-dbg to find out what's messing up my X
> > session.
>
> I think the idea is that when you report a crash bug against
> xserver-xfree86 the maintainer may ask you to try it with
> xserver-xfree86-dbg instead and send him the core. You can probably use
> it to get a backtrace of where a crash happened ('gdb
> /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86-debug /path/to/core', then 'bt'), but I'm not
> sure how much use that would be to you.
>
> Are you sure that the X server is really crashing, or is it just that
> your X session is terminating abruptly for some other reason?

What happens is that I use some app (usually galeon or mozilla) and
suddenly everything will freeze. The mouse and the keyboard are
dead. I can still log in remotely via ssh run top and find out that X
is consuming 99% of my CPU cycles. However sometimes even remote login
is impossible. Google tells me that my best bet is turning of
acceleration. But that is just to sluggish to endure. My second best
option is probably to just turn of some acceleration (xaa)
options. But there are loads of them and I have to find out which
one/s are actually causing my problems. Any ideas?

alex

--

Alex Polite
http://plusseven.com/gpg