Re: Cirrus Logic 7556, Xfree86 3.3, and Woody

I have an acentia P that I could never get X to work on with the cirrus drivers. I was able to get rather nice results using just the generic vesa driver. Its good enough for most 2D stuff, even doom.

From: Ben Kal <benkal@euronet.nl>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Cirrus Logic 7556, Xfree86 3.3, and Woody
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 19:54:13 +0100

On 9 Jun 2003 root <markgill@loftnet.dyndns.org> wrote:

> I'm new to Debian and not a Linux expert, but I wanted to learn more
> about Debian (vs. HedHat). I took an old laptop that was running RH 7.3
> and installed Woody from CD. It became clear after a bit of log-looking
> that the video chipset was no longer supported in xfree86 4.1, but
> appeared to be in xfree86 3.3 so I removed xfree86 and installed
> xserver-common 3.3. Some of the 4.1 apps wanted to load too. I don't
> know which xfree86 4.1 apps play nicely with 3.3.
>
> Following is the log file after this downgrade to 3.3 after installing a > basic Woody with X on an AST Ascentia M Series (Cirrus Logic 7556 video,
> c.f., www.astro.umd.edu/~teuben/linux/laptop/ast-m.html).
>
> This is a pre-release version of XFree86, and is not supported in any way.
> Bugs may be reported to XFree86@XFree86.Org and patches submitted to
> fixes@XFree86.Org. Before reporting bugs in pre-release versions, please
> check the latest version in the XFree86 CVS repository
> (http://www.XFree86.Org/cvs)
>
> XFree86 Version 4.1.0.1 / X Window System
                  ~~~~~~~
You say you downgraded to xfree86 3.3, but the log says you are still
starting version 4.1. .....

> [snip]

> (--) PCI:*(0:2:0) Cirrus Logic unknown chipset (0x004c) rev 0, Mem @ 0xfd000000/24
>
> [snip]
>
> (--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
> (EE) No devices detected.
>
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found

I would check 'Section "Device"' and 'Section "Screen"' in
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 if starting xfree86 4.1 (as you effectively do now)
  /etc/X11/XF86Config    if starting xfree86 3.3  (as you intend to do)
The (EE) message and 'Fatal server error' message suggest there is something
wrong with those 'Sections'.
Or else the preceding (--) messages about your video card may point to the
real cause of the trouble, though I do not exactly know what they mean.

Ben

--

B.F.M. Kal
Anjelierstraat 1,   2014 TC Haarlem,  Netherlands