Re: Kernel will not compile

"Gary Hennigan" <glhenni@sandia.gov> writes:

> I think, in general, it's best to stick with 2.95 compilers for the
> kernel. There are exceptions, but the easiest route is to use gcc-2.95
> for compiling kernel source. You can do this by editing the
> kernel-source-2.4.20/Makefile and setting HOSTCC=gcc-2.95 and
> CC=$(CROSS_COMPILE)gcc-2.95. If you have external modules you're
> building then you'll also want to add CC=gcc-2.95 to the
> environment. Like:
>
>    CC=gcc-2.95 make-kpkg --revision foo.1 --bzimage kernel_image
>
> and then
>
>     CC=gcc-2.95 make-kpkg --revision foo.1 --bzimage modules_image

I bumped into this problem as well yesterday and found builder-cc.  I
am running testing and gcc-3.3 is the default, but builder-cc gives
you two environment variables to set the architecture and gcc-version.
So, instead of editing files, I set DEBIAN_BUILDARCH=pentium and
DEBIAN_BUILDGCCVER=2.95 and off I went.  I assume this will work with
kernel compilation as well as any other compliation.  I was building a
new kernel module and gcc-3.3 was having a lot of problems with my old
kernel source.  See man builder-cc.  Also, thanks to whoever thought of
this way to manage multiple gcc versions.

Brian