Re: Q: Pointers to configure SMTP AUTH

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 09:48:11PM -0400, Gregory Seidman wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 03:00:23AM +0200, Viktor Rosenfeld wrote:
> } I want to use SMTP AUTH with my ISP.
>
> See http://www.eckes.org/article.php?sid=150

just to make sure i understand -- that article shows how to have
exim be a relay for lan traffic, and then beam the email onward
to the isp which relays it further up the chain, right? which
means the thrust of the article is how to get exim to connect
to the isp with encryption (ssl/tls) for its outbound relay
transmission, right?

as opposed to, having incoming smtp connections (the clients who
are wanting to initiate the relaying for outbound messages) be
encrypted via tls/ssl -- this is NOT what the article covers,
right?

of course, the latter is what i'd like to have... :(

i have the exim book, but it's a big square peg and my brain has
only these tiny round holes...

in fact, page 369 says that with just tls_advertise_hosts,
tls_certificate and tls_privatekey properly set, "exim will work
as a server". there's probably a teeny asterisk there with a
footnote that reads "except in your case, you cretin."

where's the clue club on getting exim-tls to work as an smtp
server for windo~1 eudora or outhouse excess?

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 3.0-bunk-1;
Linux server 2.4.20-k6 #1 Mon Jan 13 23:49:14 EST 2003 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #106 from Joost Kooij <joost@topaz.mdcc.cx>
:
Wondering HOW TO GET CPAN MODULES FOR PERL THAT ARE
DEBIAN-FRIENDLY? Many perl modules are already Debianized:
	apt-get install lib<MODULE>-perl
	apt-get install libdbi-perl libmd5-perl libmime-base64-perl
To recover from using CPAN installs directly, reinstall all the
perl debs on your system.  If you use the --reinstall option to
apt-get, it is almost easy, even.
  To create Debian-friendly *.deb packages from Perl modules,
	apt-get install dh-perl-make
and then you can build your own.