Re: ALSA won't detect SB128

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 11:00:47PM +0100, Dr Garret Cotter wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I'm running unstable on a P3 750 / Intel D815EEA box with a Soundblaster
> 128 (SB 4.1 Digital, indeed). ALSA won't even see it. I have installed
> version 0.9.4-1. Running alsaconf I get the message
>
> modinfo: snd: no module by that name found
>
> repeated a couple of times and then a blue screen telling me that no
> supported PnP cards were found.
>
> FWIW, if I try running esd I get the message
>
> /dev/dsp: No such device
>

> So maybe there's something more subtle than a break in ALSA?
> Frustratingly as ever it's all rosy under Windows so I don't think it's
> a hardware problem.
>
> Any suggestions? What other diagnostics should I post?

Not an expert by any stretch, but it sounds to me like sound support is
missing in your kernel.  Try grep'ing your /boot/config-2.x.yy file for
SOUND and see what results are there.

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,