Re: Using libstdc++.so.5 on woody?

Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> Pete Ashdown wrote:
> > Is it possible to install libstdc++.so.5 on woody?  I have a
> > compiled binary that depends on it, but I don't want to break the
> > rest of woody in order to use it.
>
> altgcc might be the package you're looking for.

You are confusing libc5 with libstd++5 which are completely different
and unrelated.  libstd++5 actually depends upon libc6 by the way.

  http://packages.debian.org/unstable/base/libstdc++5.html

The version in unstable depends upon glibc-2.3.1 in unstable.  Unless
there is a backport you would not be able to install it on woody.  You
could try to backport it.

Frankly if you are going to be running commercial binaries you will
almost certainly be pushed into needing glibc-2.3.1.  So you might
consider upgrading to either testing or unstable for at least the
libraries that you need.

Bob