Re: Home network router does not forward LAN traffic

Paul Johnson wrote:

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 06:19:02PM -0500, Keith G. Murphy wrote:

Mmmm, what if I have two machines that are on the same LAN segment, having a conversation of interest, but I want to run my sniffer from, say, a Linux server on the same segment? (Router shouldn't even come into play in a situation like that).

Sniffers will always work for the collision domain you're on.  So long
as there isn't a bridge, switch or router in between you and what you
want to sniff, you'll be able to see it.

Yes, I did not mean to say "on the same segment". I really meant "connected to the same switch". Sorry.

We're pretty much saying the same thing here. I'm saying sniffing does not work if your machines of interest, as well as your sniffing machine, are connected via a switch (thus on different segments), and you're saying sniffing is best suited to machines on the same segment. Well, yeah! ;-)