Re: USB and PCMCIA card readers

Hello Bret,

Also, is the Smart Media card you're trying to read formatted ("is there
gas in the tank?")?

Heh! Yeah its formatted no worries - after all, I have used it in Win2k
no problems.

Followed your instructions, recompiled kernel with Jumpshot support
built in, and installed hotplug manager, and surprise, surprise it
works.  Strange when the USB driver get loaded, it says my Jumpshot
Smartmedia reader is a Jumpshot CompactFlash one...   No matter, it
works anyway.

Now to find out how to get the CompactFlash PCMCIA reader to work... Be
easier to buy a Jumpshot CompactFlash reader methinks ;)  Although the
Jumpshot USB reader would be around £15-£20, the PCMCIA reader cost me
£2.  Go figure.

Lots of thanks to Bret and Roberto for all your help! :)  Appreciated!

Cheers - Piers

I have the hotplug package loaded.  This handles loading and unloading
drivers for usb (among other things) when adding and removing devices. It is possible my system loads a driver or otherwise sets things up when
I plug in my reader.  (apt-get install hotplug).

I've edited the hotplug scripts to add support for a USB scanner I have,
but I haven't done anything to make the reader work - it happened out of
the box, as it were.

I'd go for the experimental drivers choice in menuconfig, and build all
the usb reader modules, then use "modconf" to make sure the usb-storage
module is loaded (although it seems you already have this), then I'd try
adding the hotplug package (if you haven't already).

Also, is the Smart Media card you're trying to read formatted ("is there
gas in the tank?")?

8-)

Bret