Re: USB and PCMCIA card readers

On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 08:19, Piers Kittel wrote:

> Have recompiled the kernel with SCSI support, SCSI disk support, USB
> mass storage support (when I checked my .config file, I noted an entry
> for "Jumpshot" in the USB drivers list, but can't find that in make
> menuconfig. Weird)

You don't mention if you set them as modules or compile them into the
kernel.  Of course, you can't tell which modules are loaded if you're
not using modules...

lsmod on my system shows the usb-storage uses scsi-mod and usbcore.
Some other usb modules are loaded - I don't see any connection except
perhaps usb-uhci (my system's chipset - your's may be different).

You might consider going through the usb device section of your kernel
configuration, and making all the readers listed there as modules.
Possibly one of them will do the job, even if it doesn't say it
specifically is for your device.

I looked in menuconfig, and the first choice is whether to be prompted
for experimental drivers.

The list of usb readers is a lot shorter if I don't allow experimental
drivers, and one of the ones that goes away is the Lexar Jumpshot.

>  and now I get the following mesasges when I boot up
> the laptop with the USB reader inserted:
>
> hub.c: new USB device 00:01.2-2, assigned address 2
> usb.c: USB devcie 2 (vend/prod 0x5dc/0x1) is not claimed by any active
> driver.

My system gives an equivalent message at boot time:

hub.c: new USB device 00:07.2-1, assigned address 2
usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0xaec/0x3050) is not claimed by any
active driver.

Later, when it loads the usb-storage module, it provides information
about usb-storage devices it finds:

<lots of usb-storage stuff snipped>
usb-storage: *** thread sleeping.
  Vendor: Generic   Model: USB Storage-SMC   Rev: 0207
<lots of usb-storage stuff snipped>

My 6-in-1 has 4 slots, the "SMC" slot is one device (Smart Media Card)
and it gets assigned /dev/sda.  My other 3 slot/device get /dev/sdb,
/dev/sdc, etc.

> SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
> Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
> usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
> USB Mass Storage support registered
>
> Have added "/dev/sda1 /home/smartmedia auto rw,user,noauto 0 0" to the
> fstab.
> When the laptop has booted, and I try "mount /home/smartmedia" I get an
> "mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device"
>
> Trying "mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /home/smartmedia" gets the same results.
>
> Any ideas?

I have the hotplug package loaded.  This handles loading and unloading
drivers for usb (among other things) when adding and removing devices.
It is possible my system loads a driver or otherwise sets things up when
I plug in my reader.  (apt-get install hotplug).

I've edited the hotplug scripts to add support for a USB scanner I have,
but I haven't done anything to make the reader work - it happened out of
the box, as it were.

I'd go for the experimental drivers choice in menuconfig, and build all
the usb reader modules, then use "modconf" to make sure the usb-storage
module is loaded (although it seems you already have this), then I'd try
adding the hotplug package (if you haven't already).

Also, is the Smart Media card you're trying to read formatted ("is there
gas in the tank?")?

8-)

Bret

bwaldow at alum.mit.edu