Re: kernel with modules

on Fri, 13 Jun 2003 06:23:56PM -0400, Seneca insinuated:
> On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 05:49:54PM -0400, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
> > i'm trying to set up samba to interface with my windoze network at
> > work.  i've apt-gotten samba, smbfs, and all the things the myriad
> > howtwos i've found have deemed necessary, but i can't figure out
> > how to put smbfs as a module into my kernel.
> >
> > spycellar:~# modprobe -k smbfs modprobe: Can't locate module smbfs
>
> Do you have the smbfs module (the package does not provide the
> module)?

i don't know how to look, but i don't think i do:

spycellar:~> cat /proc/modules
ds                      6400   2
i82365                 22672   2
pcmcia_core            45824   0 [ds i82365]
parport_pc              7276   1 (autoclean)
lp                      4580   0
parport                 6676   1 [parport_pc lp]
eepro100               16448   0 (unused)
pci-scan                3580   1 [eepro100]
af_packet               6136   1

> > i clearly just don't know enough about kernels to understand why
> > this isn't working, or what i have to do to get smbfs to be
> > modularly inserted into my kernel.  could someone please point me
> > in the right direction?
>
> Take a look at your kernel's config.  smbfs could be compiled into
> it so that you don't need a module, or you may have to compile the
> module yourself.

i'm using the stock debian kernel off my boot CD, and i don't think it
has smbfs in it:

spycellar:~> cat /proc/filesystems
        ext2
        msdos
        vfat
nodev   proc
nodev   nfs
        iso9660
nodev   devpts

how do i download and compile a module?  i apt-got smbfs, but beyond
that i don't know how to proceed.

thanks again,

</nori>

--