agpgart module, gui, and system responsivness

I am currently running debian unstable on a dual p3 (1Ghz CPU's) tyan (via apollo pro 133a) motherboard for my daily computing needs when I'm home. I've been reluctant to upgrade because, well, it works and it's rock solid stable. But I have always noticed one annoying thing. Mozilla is slow. Slow as in, I can actually see the web images being drawn on the screen when it's loading web pages. I thought it was strange that Mozilla is much snappier on my 800mhz thinkpad X22(intel chipset) with only half the RAM. Both run kernel 2.4.20. The thinkpad with low-latency and preempt patches, the desktop with SMP support.

I compiled kernel 2.4.21 last night for the desktop machine , and for whatever reason, the agpgart module didn't load. DRI wasn't enabled, but when i fired up Mozilla it was much faster and rendering the pages. Just as fast, if not faster than my Thinkpad.

I googled around, but found nothing negative about agpgart. Could this be a consequnce of the VIA chipset? Is there something I'm missing? I don't absolutley *need* 3d, but I like running my OpenGL screensavers, and sometime, tux racer. I would have to kill the X server, load the agpgart and radeon modules and restart X for 3d.

the system specs are

Tyan Tiger 230 S2507
2 1Ghz CPU's
Radeon 64Mb VIVO AGP