Re: How to stop booting into KDE environment

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 12:35:31 -0400
Alfredo Valles <alfredo@bioinfo.cu> wrote:

> You can pass the init=3 parameter to the kernel at boot time to start in
> runlevel 3 which should be console only, with networking.
> Now, in debian for some reason I don't undestand, runlevels 2, 3 and 5
> have the same init scripts, so you have to fix that first.

In Debian the sysadmin is assumed to best know how runlevels should be
defined. You can change your system so that runlevel 3 is console with
networking by simply eliminating the link to xdm/kdm/gdm in /etc/rc3.d.

See man update-rc.d for The Debian Way to do this (or be a real man and just
delete the link yourself. Arrrgggh!) :)

Then you can have your system default to runlevel 3 by editing inittab.

Kevin