Re: Fonts: the Neverending Struggle

M. Kirchhoff wrote:

> If it's true that font servers aren't really necessary, then
> what is the easiest way to get good looking fonts simply using
> the XFree86 config files?

Because of a reinstall I went through it recently again. Some of
the main points are (I think):

- true, you don't need a font server, but xfs is automatically
  installed with the x-window-system package. You can safely
  remove xfs using apt-get --purge remove.
- installing the msttcorefonts package (if your Debian
  distribution is not too old) gets the MS fonts alright, not from
  Microsoft but from sourceforge.
- The config file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 is managed by
  dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86. Make sure the module
  'freetype' is selected. Unfortunately the reconfigure always
  results in a line
    FontPath   "unix/:7100"       # local font server
  in the files section at the top. You must edit XF86Config-4
  by hand. Comment out the font server line. Make sure there
  is a line (or lines) pointing to the directory which holds the
  truetype fonts (or to a directory which has links to them like

  /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType).
- From an xterm run xfontsel. The 'fndry' list should now contain
  microsoft and monotype. Not every application will use them but:
- openoffice should now have antialiased fonts. Check with xmag.
- the debian mozilla packages do not enable antialiased fonts by
  default. You must edit /etc/mozilla/prefs.js to enable them (it
  is fairly self-explanatory). Then start mozilla and do the
  Edit, Prefences, Appearance, Fonts dialog. The names of the
  anti-aliased fonts should now be visible (starting with a
  capital letter).
- in the 'unstable' distribution the system for displaying
  anti-aliased fonts seems to have changed, causing font problems
  in the mozilla GUI. So avoid the unstable mozilla packages.

Regards, Jan