Re: CVS_RSH for :ext: CVS access

On Friday 13 June 2003 12:23, Colin Watson wrote:
> CVS_RSH, as the name suggests, defaults to rsh. This is a compile-time
> option in the cvs package, but Debian just leaves this at the upstream
> default of rsh.

OK.  Then "alternatives" substitutes ssh.  On the other commercial distro
system rsh _is_ available, it got used and refused at the Debian CVS server.
The I set CVS_RSH=ssh; export CVS_RSH on the commercial distro and the Debian
CVS server is happy.  When doing CVS checkouts from Debian boxes, CVS uses
rsh which is really ssh - so no need to set CVS_RSH (for now).

> At the moment the ssh package installs an rsh symlink
> pointing to ssh; as I've just explained, this may change and you should
> explicitly set CVS_RSH=ssh if that's what you want.
>
> See the "Connecting with rsh" node in 'info cvs' for more information on
> CVS_RSH.
>
> > I don't want to change CVS on Debian.  I want to understand why I
> > don't have to set CVS_RSH on Debian.
>
> Vineet explained this above. The rsh -> ssh symlink is a "feature" of
> the Debian ssh package, and one which I'd advise you not to rely on.

OK.  (I sense a learning opportunity is headed my way :-)

> Cheers,

Thanks all, for clearing that up.
--
Mike Mueller