Re: apt-get upgrade advice

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 01:24:50PM +0100, Richard Kimber wrote:
> I have 50 or so testing packages in line for upgrade.  Some of these have
> grave bugs open. Some have grave bugs I can live with.  Some I don't know
> about.
>
> Is there a way of telling apt to upgrade all _except_ a given package? I'm
> not keen on dealing with packages one by one.
>
> Also, am I right in assuming that the #188900 bug  is such that I should
> avoid upgrading binutils?
>
> Thanks,
> -Richard.

I find dselect useful in these situations. During package selection, you
can hold a given package. If at a later time you want to unhold it,
well, choose the unhold option.

I'm using testing:
$ dpkg -l binutils
ii  binutils           2.14.90.0.4-0.1    The GNU assembler, linker ...

and bug #188900 seems fixed.

Graeme