Re: adding a directory to apt sources

On 10 Jun 2003 Linux <linux@204eastsouth.com> wrote:

> Greetings.  I am trying to add a directory to the list of sources for APT
> to use for installing deb packages.
>
> The dirctory is
> /home/skippi/0data/backup/debian30/debian
>
> I have been using the APT HOWTO. In section 2.2 it tells me to use
> dpkg-scanpackages to create a Packages.gz file. I did that and it worked
> fine, but when I try to add the directory to my sources.list it will not
> work.  It tells me there is an error in line 10 (the line I'm adding).
>
> I am adding
>
> deb file:/home/skippi/0data/backup/debian30/debian
>
> Evidently either this is wrong, or I am missing a step.  Can anyone
> enlighten me?

The way to specify a local packages archive in /etc/apt/sources.list is

  deb file:<directory the local archive is in>/ <name of local archive>/

(note the space and the trailing /'s)
so, in your case:

  deb file:/home/skippi/0data/backup/debian30/ debian/

Learned this from a little manual that came with my first set of Debian
cd's. I don't know where it is in the official documentation.

Ben

--

B.F.M. Kal
Anjelierstraat 1,   2014 TC Haarlem,  Netherlands