Re: CVS_RSH for :ext: CVS access

Colin Watson said on Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 09:42:07AM +0100:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 11:46:49PM -0700, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> > * Mike M (linux-support@earthlink.net) [030612 21:48]:
> > > On the Debian system, when I query evironments vars, I do not set
> > > CVS_RSH set.  Why do the Debian systems allow the :ext: access
> > > method to work without having the CVS_RSH var set?
> >
> > The default is to use rsh.  If you've installed ssh, but not
> > rsh-client, then /usr/bin/rsh is a symlink to ssh.  (Well, indirectly,
> > anyway, through the alternatives system).
>
> ... for now, anyway. There's a bug report asking for this to be removed
> since ssh no longer implements the rsh fallback that it used to
> implement; I'm inclined to agree, so it may disappear soon.

ARG!  Why why why!  Right now, everything that has silly default settings to
use rsh automatically uses ssh, which means that things Just Work in a secure
environment.  If this happens, would it be possible to change all of the
upstream defaults to use ssh instead of rsh instead?  That just seems to be
more work than it's worth, since by all rights rsh really only has certain
limited and dubious-at-best uses, so the people who want it should be expected
to have to perform a little additional configuration.