Re: CVS_RSH for :ext: CVS access

* Mike M (linux-support@earthlink.net) [030612 21:48]:
> I've set up several Debian systems and loaded the cvs package on them.  I've
> had no problem using:
>
> $ cvs -d :ext:myacct@mybox:/home/cvsrep checkout myproject
>
> Now I have to do some work on a RH8 box to solve a particular problem.  I
> found that I had to do this:
>
> $ CVS_RSH=ssh; export CVS_RSH
>
> to get the command above to work.
>
> On the Debian system, when I query evironments vars, I do not set CVS_RSH
> set.  Why do the Debian systems allow the :ext: access method to work without
> having the CVS_RSH var set?

The default is to use rsh.  If you've installed ssh, but not rsh-client,
then /usr/bin/rsh is a symlink to ssh.  (Well, indirectly, anyway,
through the alternatives system).  So when cvs invokes rsh on your
debian box, it gets ssh.

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."  --Benjamin Franklin