Re: How to stop booting into KDE environment

    "dhobner" == dhobner  <dhobner@ideorlando.org> writes:

    dhobner> I am very new to Linux.  Is there a way to reboot without
    dhobner> going directly into the KDE windows environment?  My
    dhobner> mouse is not working so when I get into KDE environment I
    dhobner> cannot bring up a window as far as I know.

If you mean you want to reboot without using KDE because you are
stuck, hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 (all at the same time) to get to a console
prompt. Login as root, type reboot.

If you want to stop X from starting up when you boot your machine the
way to do it is to rename the link /etc/rc2.d/S99kdm to
/etc/rc2.d/K01kdm (and similarly S99gdm and S99xdm if you have
them).

Actually, the answer is a little more complicated, but that should
probably do the trick for you. A look at
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html#s-sysvinit and
a quick inspection of /etc/inittab should get you going on the details.

Cheers!
Shyamal