Re: Firewire card suported by Linux?

On my PowerMac 8500, I have a 1394 PCI card with a Texas Instrument chip.
The info from lspci is:

00:0f.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB12LV23 OHCI Compliant
IEEE-1394 Controller (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
        Memory at 80800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
        Memory at 80804000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Capabilities: <available only to root>

This was not a "brand name" card as such.  I bought it off someone in a
newsgroup, or a website (can't remember right now) and had them verify
that it did have those codes on the chip.  I think if you look at the
page:

    http://www.linux1394.org/cgi-bin/hcl.cgi?class_id=1

the TSB12LV23 shows as "Works Great", and I can verify that it DOES let
me read and write to a laptop hard drive in a firewire case.  As I said,
this is on a Power Mac 8500 running stock Woody, except a 2.4.20 kernel
from kernel.org.  I think if you can check the chipset on whatever PCI
card you buy, and it's on this list, you should be okay.

cheers
vinai

to reach me by e-mail, change the "4" in my e-mail to "for"