Re: Question about command-line aptitude 0.2.11.1

Ron Johnson wrote:
> This is on a mixed sarge/sid system.
>
> ~# aptitude install base-config
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree
> Reading extended state information... Done
> The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED:
>   bluefish gaim gedit gnome-spell libgtkspell0 logjam pan
> [snip]
>   base-config
> 1 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 7 to remove and 43 not upgraded.
> Need to get 126kB of archives. After unpacking 12.6MB will be freed.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n/e/d/v/action/?] n
> Abort.
>
> Why does aptitude want to remove those packages?  For example,
> pan (which I installed from sid) is installed correctly.
>
> # dpkg -l |grep ' pan '
> ii  pan   0.14.0-3 A Newsreader based on GTK2, which looks like

These packages were pulled in by dependencies of other packages, and so
aptitude has them marked as auto-installed, and so will try to
auto-remove them.

Use "aptitude unmarkauto pan gaim <etc>" (or the GUI) to let it know you
mean to keep the packages.

(Related tip -- aptitude has a nice hint on its man page -- use
aptitude markauto '~slibs' and it will mark every package in the libs
section as autoinstalled.)

--
see shy jo