Re: OT: The Hurd

Carel Fellinger wrote:

On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 02:14:44PM -0500, Kent West wrote:
I've wiped the drive and started over, and started a new, much cleaner document. It can be found at http://faculty.acu.edu/~westk/A_Beginners_Second_Attempt_to_Install_the_Hurd.html

looking at your scribbles, I noticed that one of your current beefs is
that you need to type in a lot to get grub to do its thing.  But that's
not how it's suppposed to be:)  You could do better and install grub on
a flop instead of merely dd-ing it to it, like (on a debian system):

   # superformat --superverify  /dev/fd0  hd

   # dd  if=/dev/null of=/dev/fd0  bs=512 count=1
   # mke2fs  /dev/fd0

   # mount /floppy
   # mkdir -p /floppy/boot/grub

   # cp /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/stage{1,2} /floppy/boot/grub

   # cat >/flop py/boot/grub/menu.lst <<EOFmenu
   timeout 15
   default 0

   title The Hurd
   root (hd0,0)
   kernel /boot/gnumach.gz root=hd2s1 -s
   module=/boot/serverboot.gz
   EOFmenu

Now you'll have a grub bootflop, complete with filesystem and menu.

I'm definitely interested in haw you fare, so keep us posted:)

Thanks for the response, Carel; I didn't mean to leave you hanging for so long without an acknowlegement, but I just haven't had time to get back to playing with the Hurd/grub. Looks like your post will help a lot when I get back to it though; thanks!

--
Kent