Re: Laptop PCMCIA Troubles

On 9 Jun 2003 Larry <doccpu@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm unable to get pcmcia working on a laptop.
>
> Here's what I've got so far:
>
> I've installed the pcmcia modules for my system (Woody 2.2.20).
> I've installed pcmcia-cs package.
>
> I've made an effort at setting up my /etc/pcmcia/config.opts file
> according to the pcmcia HOWTO.
>
> Symptoms:
> There are no eth0, eth1, etc devices in /dev, ....

There never are in Linux. Use 'ifconfig -a' to determine what network
interfaces exist.

> .... but there is a /lib/modules/2.2.20/net directory full of drivers.

The drivers for *PCMCIA* LAN cards are in /lib/modules/2.2.20/pcmcia/,
I believe. And is the right one for the particular PCMCIA LAN card you
are using among them?

> When I insert a 3com lan card, the cardmgr i ndicates it sees it:
> cs: cb_alloc (bus 35): Vendor 0x10b7, Device 0x5157.
>
> But -- no lan driver is loaded.
> The Lan card lights come on.  Cardinfo seems to see
> the card and says it's ready.  But I can't configure
> if there are no eth devices.

AFAIK, what should happen is that as soon as cardmgr 'sees' a PCMCIA card,
it looks it up in a "database of known cards", which is the file
  /etc/pcmcia/config
If the PCMCIA card is indeed in this list of known cards, cardmgr will
find a few lines of further info on it, the last of which is the name
of the driver (loadable module) that it must 'bind' to the card.
If that driver is not found, one gets the state of affairs you describe.

Therefore:
- look up your PCMCIA LAN card in
  /etc/pcmcia/config;
- check that the module in its 'bind' statement is present in
  /lib/modules/2.2.20/pcmcia/;
- if it is, try again, and find out if and why loading of the module fails
  using the output of 'lsmod' (to see what modules are actually loaded)
  and the contents of /var/log/{syslog,messages} (to see what 'modprobe'
  and/or 'insmod' report about loading of modules);
- if the module you need is not available on your system, then it was simply
  not present in the pcmcia-modules package you installed. Probably, you
  then need the package pcmcia-source, to compile your own pcmcia-modules
  package for the version of the kernel you are using, after configuring it
  to produce all the PCMCIA modules you may need.

> Next problem.  Cardmgr doesn't seem to see at all a
> flash card (brand SanDisk).  Again, no drivers a
> loaded by cardmgr.  Cardinfo doesn't seem to see the
> card at all.

Sorry, I cannot help you with this one. No experience with flash cards.

Ben

--

B.F.M. Kal
Anjelierstraat 1,   2014 TC Haarlem,  Netherlands