X server fails to start

On 7 Jun 2003 "Fred Bowker" <f.bowker@btopenworld.com> wrote:

> I have just installed debian linux woody 3.0 r1 When it starts up it tries
> to load the x server then fails
> I used XFree86 -Configure and this gave me a new config file to test
> however this gave me the same problems

Your error log at one point says:

  (EE) Unable to open /dev/agpgart (No such device)

(EE) means error, as is explained at the start of the log. I don't know what
/dev/agpgart is for and if the fatal server error you get is due to the
non-existence of that device, but I presume this must be fixed anyhow. To my
knowledge, one cannot expect the X server to start after (EE) messages.

Ben

--

B.F.M. Kal
Anjelierstraat 1,   2014 TC Haarlem,  Netherlands