Re: Mysterious network traffic

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 10:14:47AM -0400, Jason M. Harvey wrote:

> > > This is normal.  You're on the same broadcast domain as other users.
> >
> > Hm.  Perhaps I should have been more specific:
> > It's the LED specifically for the connection from *my* PC to the router
> > that's flickering... not the one for traffic to the cable-modem.
> > Also, I've been connected with the same setup for six months, and this
> > behaviour is new in the last couple of days.
>
> i have a similar situation with my cable modem, from the day i installed
> it. as far as i know, the cablemodem is like an ethernet bridge, and
> forwards all ethernet traffic to your pc. dsl modems (bridges) work in
> the same manner. i've ran tcpdump on my deb box, and i see a bunch of
> arp requests (which are tcp/ip's way of knowing which ip is bound to
> which mac address). i also see a bunch of broadcast traffic, like
> netbios stuff - people with file-sharing enabled.

I think you're misunderstanding my situation.
I am *not* talking about indicators on my cable-modem.
My cable-modem plugs into the WAN port of a router (SOHOware
BroadGuard)... my PC is in LAN port #1 of the BroadGuard router.
Yes, there's broadcast traffic (and the occasional port-scan, and maybe
a keepalive) flickering now and then on the cable-modem's rx and tx
lights, which is fine.
The situation I was looking at was on the light for LAN port #1 on the
BroadGuard router, and was something that started up a few days ago,
after six months of the same hardware configuration *not* having this
symptom.

> this may not be the
> case with you, since you mention possbile problems with the dhcp client.
> strangely, back in january when i switched from analog to digital cable
> - strickly tv-cable-box-speaking, i saw about a 50% reduction in this

It's actually ddclient I mentioned, not dhclient.
And ddclient (dynamic-IP update utility for DynDNS) is in fact the
culprit.  When I start it with the /etc/init.d/ddclient script, it takes
a couple percent of my processor, and generates this excessive traffic.
When I start it by simply calling the ddclient binary, it takes ~0
percent processor, and only generates traffic at the specified interval
(300 sec).

Now I just need to see if I can fix that script, so's it'll work
properly at boot time...

	Thanks for the input!