Re: Re: specifying vga mode in lilo

------------------------
 Vineet Kumar <debian-user@virtual.doorstop.net> wrote:
------------------------

>* Benedict Verheyen (benedict.verheyen@pandora.be) [030609 09:26]:
>> Hi,
>>
>> i specified vga=9 in my lilo.conf, ran lilo and then
>> rebooted. I know this mode is possible because i first
>> did a vga=ask and scanned for the available modes.
>> Now, it complains that it doesn't know this mode so i
>> have to do a scan first and then it adds the newly
>> found modes to the list so i can select them.
>> How can i make those newly found modes persistent so
>> i don't have to do a scan every time i boot.
>
>Since the numbers are different after you choose scan, I find it more
>sane to use one of the hexadecimal mode numbers, which don't depend on
>the order of the menu displayed by vga=ask.  These are documented in
>Documentation/svga.txt and Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt.

I'll check those docs. However, i haven't installed framebuffer support since i don't know what it actually does. Am i correct in understanding that with vesa framebuffer enabled, my text consoles would look nicer (and my startup would include a penguin logo :-) ) ?
However, i would not want to use the vesafb for X as i have my nvidia drivers handling everything. Is this possible?

Thanks