Amaya

Paul Johnson wrote:
> Amaya's the only one you need.  Standards compliant, too, so instead
> of disgracing yourself by saying it's viewable in only one browser,
> you can proudly say anybody on anything can display it properly.
>
> apt-get install amaya

I just installed it with exactly that command line.  When I type
  % amaya
it boldly but not very helpfully says:
  *** Amaya: Irrecoverable error ***

The man page says:
  For a pointer to documentation on how to use  amaya,  run
  the program with no arguments.

which isn't very helpful in the circumstances. I can't find anything about troubleshooting on the amaya web site either.

I'm running Woody.

Anybody know how to start to diagnose the problem? Or is this another case where it's easier to get the current version direct from upstream (V8 instead of two-year old V5.1).

Thanks
--
Dave Howorth