Xvidtune

Dear All,

When I start X, the whole screen image is displayed slightly too far to
the right. Although I could use the buttons on the monitor to adjust the
image further left, that would create problems because I have other
distros installed on this computer, and these distros have the image
properly centered. So what I need are software settings to move the image
leftwards.

Xvidtune does just that. I can position the image anywhere I like on the
screen. The problem is that I don't see any way to save these settings. I
can get the image properly centered afgter hittings the "apply" button,
but there is no "save", and next time I boot up my new improved settings
are gone.

Xvidtune with the "-show" option produces these settings:

  "800x600"      49.50    800  816  896 1056    600  601  604  625 +hsync
+vsync

I tried editing file /etc/X11/XF86Config to make these settings permanent,
but that doesn't seem to work. I'm not sure what else to try, and I'd
appreciate any suggestions.

TIA,
Robert