DC-220 Camera

I had this camera working under USB with the application called 'ks'.
But that was on another hard drive....

I'm trying to get this working under gtkam or gphoto2.

In both cases it is unable to detect the device.
But syslog shows the device is registered under /dev/usb/dc22x, which is where is used to be under 'ks'.

Root doesn't help matters, so it's not a right issue.

help?  I have 200 photos I have to pull.
--
Somebody's terminal is dropping bits.  I found a pile of them over in the
corner.