Re: Backporting of debhelper: loops in dependencies !?

On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 06:27:30PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 12:10:45PM -0400, David Z Maze wrote:
> > I don't actually know whether the testing scripts check build-depends
> > or not;
>
> They don't, currently. Even so, gradual upgrades of debconf and
> debhelper in step would have got around such a restriction.

True. But unless the previous versions are kept, then it might become
impossible to build a sarge from scratch, without resorting to pre-sarge
code !?

I know that there are cyclic dependencies that we can probably not get
out of (e.g. gcc depends on kernel; kernel depends on C compiler), but
build-from-scratch-ability (for lack of a better/proper word) should
still be the taget..

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com   http://karl.jorgensen.com