Re: NIS and Samba - can't authenticate Windows 98 clients

Thanks Todd - I really appreaciate the work you've put in ;-)

On (08/06/03 21:44), Todd Pytel wrote:
> OK, here's what I think should work.  Bear in mind that
> 1) This is a pretty ugly business, and usually takes a lot of
> testing to iron out.  The following should give a rough outline to start
> with.
It would be worth the effort only if it produced a satisfactory outcome.

> 2) This suggestion is not really suitable for a professional
> installation - it's not particular secure, scalable, or easy to
> administer.  Doing this right would require LDAP or Active Directory,
> among other things, and a lot more work.
Here's the rub - the current setup (without NIS) works well and doesn't
need to be changed. I don't expect to be changing my users (children and
partner) ;) I started experimenting with NIS to learn how to
implement cross platform integration in a production environment using
only OSS software tools.

We would like to help our clients escape the  maw of Microsoft ;-)
Or at least reduse their reliance but at the same
time it needs to be better, cheaper and more secure - this is what I
believed Linux has to offer.  Debian is particularly attractive because
of its truly open source model - it appeals to my political and
humanitarian instincts ;)

Prior to starting out "learning" just over a year ago my knowledge of
computing could be rated as a competent user on Mac and adequate user
on Windows.  I am keen to become proficient in implementing and
administering Debian systems (I'm not really interested in commercial
distros)

So in the context of what you've said about the problems with
integrating NIS/Samba and the insecurity of NFS it seems I am "barking
up the wrong tree".  Should I be studying LDAP and Active Directory?
I've bought a number of books and followed this list and debian-powerpc
and not really seen this topic addressed at any length.  I guess it is
time to subscribe to another list as well ;) (Need to find more hours in
the day)

> 3) I don't know anything about OSX or how that machine will interact
> with this.  Probably not well...
Well so far the Mac side has been the least problem (OSX being *nix
based) although having said that it is less stable and more buggy than
I expected.  What I didn't mention is that we've also got my daughter's
Mac running OS8.6 on the network which I haven't yet attempted to
integrate but I was intending to look a netatalk once I'd sorted the
windows clients - is this sensible?

In summary, I really appreciate your help.  Where do you think I should
go from here?

Thanks again

Clive