Re: s key stopped working in console and xterm [SOLVED]

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 02:35:09AM +0200, Benedict Verheyen wrote:
> Op ma 09-06-2003, om 00:55 schreef Hugh Saunders:
> > On Sun, Jun 08, 2003 at 11:24:03PM +0200, Benedict Verheyen wrote:
> > > Yes! Woohoo! You da man!
> > > I checked my /etc/inputrc file and bingo, there was a
> > > setterm -blength 0 line in there that caused the s
> > > to disappear.
> > surely that just means, that the terminal wont beep?
>
> Yes. That was what i was trying to accomplish.
> According to the debian reference guide you can stop
> the beeping by adding set bell-style none to the
> inputrc file. I tried that but vi and man kept on
> beeping. Adding the same command to my own bash
> and inputrc file didn't help.

For vi (at least if it's vim), 'set visualbell t_vb=' in ~/.vimrc. man
doesn't beep, so you must mean a pager like less, in which case you want
to set the environment variable $LESS to '-Q'.

> That's why i was trying the setterm -blength 0 command.

That works as well, of course. However, it is not a piece of readline
configuration and so won't work in ~/.inputrc. It should go in a shell
initialization file instead, such as ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bashrc (see
bash(1)/INVOCATION).

Cheers,