Evolution UI fonts in Gnome 2 on Woody

I am running Woody, with the evilgeniuses backport for Gnome 2.
Evolution has been upgraded to 1.2.4.

The fonts in most of Gnome 2 are nicely anti-aliased, and I can select
TrueType fonts to use.

The Evolution list of mail messages, in fact the entire UI, has an ugly
font, and when I try to use "Tools - Settings - Font Preferences" to
change it, I don't see the TrueType fonts, and the changes I make don't
show up in the UI for Evolution, although they appear to affect the
message text (like now while I'm editing it, for instance).  The UI is
definitely not anti-aliased.

How do I affect the UI font for Evolution?  How can I get the fonts
available for the rest of Gnome 2 available for Evolution?  My TrueType
fonts don't show in the list of fonts for Evolution, although they are
in the fonts available for Gnome 2.

I upgraded an existing Gnome 1.4 Woody install to get this Gnome 2
install (removing all my KDE in the process, but that's another gripe
for another time).  Is it a legacy Gnome 1.4 setting that's lurking
somewhere?

Thanks for any clues.

Cheers,
Bret